Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

Something to Think About!

I call this photo 'Tenacity'.  It was taken in 2001 during a 500 mile kayak trip with my husband, Chris. We travelled from the French River (near North Bay, On.) to Pukaskwa National Park on the north shore of Lake Superior.  The challenges we had changed our lives (which were in jeopardy on more than one occasion) during our 63 day trip.



To me, this tiny piece of life growing between rock symbolized courage, strength and endurance. No doubt, these qualities were already a part of me but had never been allowed (or required) to fully develop. I discovered, in very short order, how much tenacity I really have and I know it literally, saved our lives. 

After a day of three very close encounters with a large black bear, we endured eight hours in our kayaks shrouded in darkness, with a cold wind and 6 foot waves surrounding us.  We had to yell to make each other hear and use pocket flashlights every few minutes to show that we remained upright.

After nearly crashing into a rock face in the rough water, we finally summoned the last our strength and made a rough landing on the beach before dawn.  Only upon climbing out of boats did we realize that Chris had severe hypothermia and was in a very dire way. Despite exhaustion, my adrenalin immediately went into overdrive as I was now the only chance we had for survival. 

There was no way to get a fire going because of days of rain, so the best I could do was get him dry and covered with extra clothes, both sleeping bags and a solar blanket.  As he shivered uncontrollably and his eyes rolled up I thought my efforts had been in vain.  All I could do then was ask Great Spirit to protect us.

As I patrolled the beach praying that our black friend would not return for breakfast, I laid out long lengths of yellow rope to form an SOS, having no idea if anyone would see it in time.  Thankfully, as daybreak came Chris' condition slowly improved and we began to assess our limited options.  I was on the verge of collapse from the stresses and exhaustion of the past 36 hours and Chris urged me to lie down.  Almost as soon as I drifted off, he woke me and said he saw a boat.  After frantically waving our arms to get their attention, two park wardens arrived on shore in a Zodiac with a chopper landing a few minutes later.  After many hugs and tears of joy, it was with awe and humble gratitude that we were air lifted to safety on the morning of September 11th, 2001. 


I'm sure at one time or another; you've all had experiences that have shaken your confidence and belief in yourself. But it is in those times of the greatest difficulties, and the biggest obstacles that we have the highest opportunity for growth and self-improvement. Since the life changing incidents of our adventure, I've come to believe that those qualities are necessary for a life lived 'on purpose'.

So I'd like to leave you with something to think about. I hope these words by Brian Tracy may resonate with you, "develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation".

Tap into your own hidden resources and utilize the force within you to magnify your innate talents and express your excellence!

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal.
 My strength lies solely in my tenacity." ~ Louis Pasteur










No comments:

Post a Comment